Beef Kulma is among the favorite Muslim or Tausug dish from the south.
It is creamy and tasty beef stewed in coconut milk and tomato sauce and a set of spices that makes it so tasty!
Beef Kulma Recipe
- 3 1/2 pounds well-trimmed boneless Beef (preferably stew meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Curry powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 large Garlic Cloves, Chopped
- 2 large Onions, Chopped
- 2 1/2 cups Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Coconut Milk
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Crushed Red pepper
- 1 thick bunch Lemon Grass
- 1 small Red bell pepper, optional
- In a large bowl, combine salt, curry powder, paprika, and cinnamon powder together.
- Add lemon juice and spread spice mixture over meat pieces. Combine it all together.
- In a large wok, sauté onions in heated oil until onions are soft and translucent. Add and sautè meat until caramelized. If possible, do this a few pieces at a time, keeping heat at medium to high.
- Once all the beef are caramelized, place everything back into the wok, and adjust heat to medium low. Cover wok and let the meat’s juices to come out. This will take around 15 minutes.
- Pour in tomato sauce and ½ cup of water and add bay leaf. Let it cook for additional 40 to 45 minutes until bubbly.
- Pour the coconut milk, add lemongrass and continue cooking for 1 hour (until meat is pork tender).
- Finaly, add red bell pepper and cook for a minute (half cook). Remove lemongrass, ladle onto casserole, and serve hot. Enjoy!
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.