Ube Halaya – This bright colored purple dessert from the Philippines is made from a boiled and mashed purple yam. This dessert, aside from being so tasty and sweet is also appealing to the eyes because of its bright purple color. The texture is also so heavenly because it is so rich, creamy and smooth. Aside from these qualities, this dish is also very simple and easy to make, even a novice in cooking can surely create this sweet treat. Ube halaya is also used in pastries and other desserts such as halu-halo and ice cream.
Ube Halaya Recipe
- 1 kilo ube (purple yam), boiled, peeled and grated
- 2 cans (14 oz) condensed milk
- 1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat a pot or wok and melt the butter. Add the condensed milk and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Add the grated ube and continue stirring. Lower the heat.
- Keep on stirring for about 20 to 30 minutes until the mixture becomes sticky and thick.
- Add the evaporated milk gradually, and continue stirring for another 15 minutes. Make sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Butter the bottom of the mold or dish before pouring the mixture in. Flatten the top with a spatula. Let it cool. Refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving.
- Top with latik or toasted coconut flakes.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.