Nougat is a type of confectionary made out of sugar, honey, egg whites and nuts usually served shaped as a bar or a cube. There are three types of this confectionary where it differs a lot in colour, the most common one is the white nougat, the second is a brown nougat which does not use egg whites making it firm and crunchy and the third one which is called Viennese or German nougat where it contains chocolates.
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup corn syrup
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup almonds, shelled and toasted
- 1 cup pistachios, shelled and toasted
- Combine together sugar, corn syrup, honey, salt and water in a large saucepan and cook over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Once sugar dissolves let it boil then turn the heat off.
- Beat egg whites until it forms stiff peaks, set aside.
- Slowly add roughly ¾ cup of the just boiled hot syrup into the egg whites while constantly beating for around 5 minutes or until it holds its shape.
- Continue to cook remaining syrup over high heat until it turns into a rich caramel colour.
- Pour this mixture with the beaten egg white mixture together with the nuts and vanilla, continue to beat until very thick.
- Spoon mixture into a wax paper lined baking pan and spread it evenly, let it cool then cut into cubes.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.