Kalamay (Sweet Rice Dessert with Coconut Cream Topping)
- 2 1/2 cups Glutinous Rice
- 4 cups Coconut Milk (or 1 can coconut milk plus enough water to make 4 cups)
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon anise seed(optional) Glutinous Rice
- 1 can Coconut Cream or 1 1/2 cups Kakang Gata
- 250 grams Brown Palm Sugar or Dark Brown Sugar
- Banana Leaves, heated
- Vegetable or Canola Oil
- Dissolve the sugar in the coconut milk and put in a pot. Add the anise seeds.
- Wash the glutinous rice and pour into the coconut milk and sugar mixture.
- Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down to simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until the liquid is fully absorbed by the rice.
- On a separate pan over medium heat, put the Coconut cream and Palm sugar and cook stirring continuously until the liquid has reduced in half.
- Assemble the Kalamay in a baking dish. Place the banana leaves at the bottom, and brush with oil. Spread the cooked sweet rice onto the leaves and flatten evenly.
- Spread the topping onto the sweet rice and bake on a 350 degrees F, pre-heated oven for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.