The Jelly Flan is a gulaman or gelatin-based dessert with sugar, eggs and milk. This is similar and a much cheaper alternative to leche flan, the look and taste are pretty close to the real thing, but it much cheaper and easier to cook.
Jelly Flan Recipe
- 1 25-gram pack Mr. Gulaman (or any unflavored, powdered gelatin)
- 5 1/2 cup water
- 1 12 oz. can Evaporated milk (or 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 1/2 cup Sugar
- 3 pieces Egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla or lemon extract (for flavoring)
- Pinch of egg yellow food color
- 9 tbsp. sugar (to caramelize)
- Prepare four oval-shaped tin cans or llanera by caramelizing 1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar by direct heat on each one. Set aside.
- Using a saucepan, dissolve the unflavored Mr.Gulaman in water and heat over medium heat.
- Add in the sugar and milk, stirring until bubbly along the sides of the pan but not boiling.
- Remove from heat and add a tablespoon at a time (up to a cup of the hot mixture) on to the egg yolks while beating continuously. Make sure the egg yolk doesn’t get cooked and turned into scrambled eggs.
- Add the cup of the egg yolk mix back to the pot to heat up but without bringing to a boil.
- Strain the mixture on to the prepared llaneras and set aside or refrigerate to set.
- Serve chilled.
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.