Ice Buko is a creamy, milk-based cylindrical shaped ice popsicle, with shredded coconut, and at times comes with red monggo beans on top.
These are usually sold from favorite neighborhood sari-sari stores, or from street peddlers carrying a rectangular styrofoam cooler. The most popular varieties are the coconut/milk-based with shredded coconut, and the monggo topped, plain milk or cream- based.
Ice Buko Recipe
- 3/4 cup Whole Milk
- 2/3 cup Coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cup Heavy Cream
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1 1/3 cup Shredded Coconut
- 5 Large Egg yolks
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- pinch of Salt
- Over medium heat, mix all the ingredients except the egg yolks, and shredded coconut and vanilla extract, then simmer, DO NOT BOIL.
- Beat the egg yolk and add a tablespoon at a time of the mix while beating vigorously so as not to scramble the egg. This is called tempering.
- Add the egg yolk mix back to the pot and simmer. Turn the heat off, strain and then add the shredded coconut and vanilla extract.
- Put in individual molds and freeze.
- If you are to use a plastic cup mold, after putting the cooked mix in individual molds, freeze for 2 hours before mounting the sticks one by one. After 10 minutes, check to see if the sticks are still vertical and not slanted.
PREPARATION TIME : 5 minutes
COOKING TIME : 8 minutes
FREEZING TIME : 4 – 5 hours
Some visual and written contents are copyrighted to their respective and considerate owners. We do not claim that these recipes or photos are proprietary to us. If this is yours and you would like it to be removed and not shared with others, please let us know by sending an email to contact @ lutongbahayrecipe.com, you may use our website contact form or by sending a message on our Facebook page. Read our disclaimer.